Matching headings test – match the title is the type of article that will appear in IELTS reading. The candidate’s task is to match 5-7 headings to the paragraphs in the text. The test will have more titles than paragraphs and candidates will have to choose to match the correct content of the passage in the test.
Let’s re-learn old lessons!
Here are some of the problems students encountered and how to solve them
Paragraph is too long
You need to read the whole paragraph to get the general idea of the article.
This step you do first to make sure you understand the gist of the entire passage.
Just put words together
The habit of combining words is a bad habit of candidates. For example, in the heading we have “environmental”, we do not find this exact word in the passage, instead the answer will be the paragraph containing the word “green”. So the advice for you is “think meaning, not words”.
Headings are the same
Some headings have quite similar meanings
Make sure you read the “headings” carefully and try matching each heading to each paragraph. It may take time but you will avoid a lot of unnecessary trouble.
Avoid focusing on words that are general, can be connected to many paragraphs. Look for special words just for that heading
Read only the first lines- try to read too fast
The topic sentence is usually in the first lines. You concentrate on reading these lines. However, sometimes you should read the last lines to be sure of your answer, as the last sentence often summarizes the main idea of the passage.
Waste of time on a paragraph
You often spend a lot of time reading a difficult passage. If you have a difficult passage, leave it at that and continue working. When you come back, the answer may be obvious because you already understand the text better. Don’t rush to guess. If you can’t answer any paragraphs, make a note with a -code code. Then go back and read it a second time – try to answer.
Tactics for homework
- Read the headings first. Don’t spend too much time with them because some headings will be wrong. Try to determine the Key word of the headings. By reading the title, you will understand the general meaning of the whole text.
- Read the first paragraph. Try to skip details and just look for the main idea of the paragraph. Read the first lines of the paragraph to see if it matches the title. Don’t forget to check the last lines for ideas. Maybe that sentence is the answer
- Try to read the entire title to find the best title for the passage. Reading too fast will cause you to make mistakes.
- If you’re not sure, the paragraph might match heading a or b, write a, b to the side. Stand trying to guess. You come back after doing other questions;
- You need to underline/circle the words in the passage that match the title. This is important because it will help you avoid repeating your answers on the following questions;
- Move on to the next paragraph and repeat the process.
- Go back to the questions you are undecided and find the correct answer.
Hopefully after the article, you have grasped the steps to make Matching headings more effective. Please watch the following article to share in detail how to apply the steps to do this type of article!
And now, let’s practice some types of lessons with Ielts-fighter below and carefully study the sharing lessons Unit 6: Instructions for doing the matching heading exercise to master this topic!