Today’s lesson will share strategies to do “Short answer – answer questions”. This is an extremely important test type in the IELTS Reading test. You need to master it!
- Give the example
- Identify common problems
- Test-taking tactics
Type 1: limit answer words
Type 2: Unlimited number of answer words
- Synonyms and paraphrasing is the biggest problem of candidates. You tend to look for key words in the passage that are exactly the same as the words in the question. This will take your time.
- Candidates often ignore the “Word limit” – limit the number of words to fill in. If you write extra words, you will definitely not get points.
- Candidates often tend to read and understand every word of the passage. However, the question is testing your ability to skim and find ideas, so there is no need to read the entire article.
- When encountering a word that does not know the meaning, candidates often worry and take too long to translate the meaning, but forget to focus on the general idea of the whole lesson.
Tips for doing homework
- The answers will appear in the correct order of the reading passages;
- Read the question first, then start reading the passage. Understand the meaning of the question;
- Note the instructions ‘NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS AND/OR A NUMBER.’
- Note that the answer is not necessarily grammatically correct. As long as the question is correct;
- Do not respond with personal opinions, take information from the reading;
- Keywords in the question are usually Nouns (noun) or Noun phrases (noun phrase);
- When finding keywords, always think about synonyms – synonyms and paraphrases.
Tactics for homework
- Read the instructions carefully and note down the word limit to answer;
- Reading comprehension questions;
- Underline keywords in the question;
- Think into synonyms -synonyms and paraphrases for those keywords;
- Find the answer (the part of the passage containing the answer information);
- Reread the question;
- Read the unanswered passage again to make sure the answer is correct;
- Continue reading and answer the follow-up question;
Let’s practice answering example 2 above!
Verse 4 – pieces of metal
Verse 5: on the bottom
Question 6: 5$
Question 7: the retailing manager
Question 8: $50,000
Hope this article gives you some ways to overcome this challenge. Let’s practice with Ietls-fighters in this format!