Save the life of a child who swallowed 14 magnets that caused intestinal obstruction

On the 6th of the Lunar New Year, the City Children’s Hospital received a 26-month-old LTQ child, male, living in Dong Thap in a state of restlessness, discomfort, abdominal pain, and vomiting. Taking the medical history recorded how the child was admitted to the hospital for 1 month to play at home, swallowing colored magnetic marbles of the 5.5-year-old sister who played jigsaw puzzles before. The family members discovered that they had gone to the local medical facility to take an unprepared abdominal X-ray and found that the foreign body had passed into the small intestine, so they gave the child an enema and monitored the child’s bowel movements. The family observed that the child had normal bowel movements in the toilet, so they did not know if the marbles were all gone. Arriving 3 hours before admission, the child felt uncomfortable, had abdominal pain, vomited, and was taken to the City Children’s Hospital by family members.

Here, the child presents with abdominal pain, vomiting, fussiness, abdominal X-ray is not prepared to detect foreign bodies in the small intestine, so they should be consulted with gastroenterologists, coordinated with surgical doctors to conduct During emergency gastrointestinal endoscopy and laparoscopy, the foreign body was found in the first part of the jejunum 10cm from the angle of Treitz, causing the jejunal angle to fold into a ring of adhesive inflammation, perforation, and chemosis. The surgeon decided to remove the flexed inflammatory bowel segment (about 7cm) and anastomosis. Results after nearly 1 week of surgery, the child had no stomach pain, no vomiting, was alert, had a good sense of smell, practiced oral feeding, and had yellow stools. The marbles removed were 14 in total with different colors, some rusted causing serious intestinal damage. Children are continued to monitor intestinal mucosal damage as well as gastrointestinal function.

  Parents pay attention to children's accidents during Tet

In this case, we pay attention to parents not to let young children play with small size toys (stipulate toys for children under 5 years old, with a minimum diameter of more than 5cm). When suspecting that your child has swallowed a foreign object, the child must be taken immediately to the hospital for timely treatment, otherwise the magnetic balls will cause damage to the intestinal mucosa, perforation of the balls “breathing each other” causing twisting. loops of intestine, causing intestinal obstruction … dangerous for children’s lives.

Young magnets swallowed # 14 tablets

Doctor 2 Nguyen Minh Tien

City Children’s Hospital

Leave a Reply