Surely you all know that in IELTS Writing task 1 you will show your English writing ability in describing, or explaining information about a graph, chart or a certain diagram.
Your task is to describe trends, compare the data of a report, or maybe you will fall and describe a process. To do well in this test you need to master vocabulary related to descriptive trends, so today I will share with you all the important words in IELTS writing you need you to memorize.
The “key” words in IELTS writing task 1 you should know:
1. Verbs that describe an upward trend
- climb (past: climb)
- go up (past: went up)
- grow (past: grow)
- increase (past: increased)
- jump (past: jumped)
- rise (past: rose)
- rocket (past: rocketed)
2. Verbs describing a downtrend
- decline (past: decline)
- decrease (past: decrease)
- drop (past: dropped)
- fall (past: fell)
- go down (past: went down)
- plunge (past: plummeted) = to fall or drop suddenly in amount or value
- plunge (past: plunge) = to fall or drop suddenly in amount or value
3. Words and phrases that describe steady trends
- maintain (past: maintained)
- remain (past: remain)
- stay (past: stay)
4. Adverbs describe trends.
- sharply, rapidly, quickly, steeply
- significantly, significantly, significantly
- regularly, taken, recovered
- slightly, slowly
5. Nouns used when describing trends.
- dip (a momentarily small drop in the level of something)
- fluctuate (= an irregular rising and falling in number or amount; a variation)
- peak (= the highest point)
- slump (= a severe or prolonged fall in the price, value, or amount of something)
- variation (= a change or difference in condition, amount, or level.
Above are the words that are considered the most important and key in IELTS writing task 1. Please memorize them to complete the best task 1 test!