Posts 15 phrasal verbs with “Call” in English will help you prepare for the IELTS exam to have a solid foundation of English knowledge and you will definitely use these phrasal verbs in the IELTS tests.
Each phrase is divided into cases along with practical examples to help you understand how to use phrases in a complete sentence.
You can see more articles:
Synthesize 15 phrasal verbs with “Call” commonly used in IELTS
1. Call after
- To give a child the same name as someone else, especially a family member
Example: We have called him Benjamin after his father.
2. Call around / Call round
- To go to someone’s house to visit them
Example: I called around yesterday but you weren’t there.
3. Call away
- To ask someone to go somewhere else
Example: I am afraid the doctor was called away on an emergency earlier today, but he should be back soon.
4. Call back
- To return a phone call or to phone someone again
Example: He’s on another call at the moment, but I will get him to call You back.
Example: She said I could call back later today to collect the laundry.
- To be asked to return for a second interview or a second audition
Example: They are only going to call back 4 people out of the 80 people who went for the first interview.
5. Call for
- Publicly demand that something be done
Example: The protesters were calling for the resignation of the president.
- To require or make necessary
Example: John got the job! This news calls for a celebration!
- To go somewhere to pick someone or something up
Example: I will call for you around seven – try to be ready on time!
6. Call forth
Example: Bernard insulted his wife’s mother, which called forth an angry response from her.
7. Call in
Example: The radio station’s listeners have been calling in all morning with answers to the quiz.
Example: Can you call in on your grandmother on your way home and make sure she is alright?
- To ask a person, especially an expert, to come to do something
Example: We had to call in fumigators to deal with the mice and cockroaches.
- To ask someone to enter a room
Example: My boss called me print to his office yesterday morning to give me a warning because I came to work late three times this week.
8. Call off
- To cancel an organized event
Example: Sandra called off the wedding at the very last minute!
- To stop doing an activity
Example: We had to call off the search when it became too dark to continue.
9. Call on
Example: I am going to call on my mother on the way home from work.
- To demand or request that someone do something
Example:The supporters of the opposition called on the government to call a new election.
- To use a quality, usually something that requires a great effort, in order to achieve something
Example: I had to call on all my strength to finish the marathon.
Example: We may need to call on experts in the field for their opinion on the matter.
- To ask for an answer or response
Example: The teacher always calls on me for the answer – it’s not fair!
10. Call up
Example: I will call up everyone we’d invited and tell them that we have called off the party.
- Select someone to play on a team
Example: He was called up to play for Spain in the World Cup.
- To summon for military service, especially during a war
Example: When the war broke out, he was scared that he would be called up.
- To make you remember or recall something
Example: Seeing her again called up all those old memories.
- To make information in a computer appear on screen
Example: This icon will call up the menu.
11. Call out
- Order or request help from someone
Example: They called out the fire services when they saw the flames.
12. Call round
Example: Thank you for calling round, I really appreciate it.
13. Call at
- Stop at a harbor, port or station
Example: This train will be calling at every station on the way to London.
14. Call by
- To visit somewhere briefly whilst on your way to somewhere else.
Example: I thought it my might be nice to call by Aunt Betty’s house on our way to Bristol.
15. Call down
- To find fault with; reprimand
Example: My professor is a perfectionist and always calls me down for such minor errors!
Above are 15 phrasal verbs with “Call” in English to help you prepare for the IELTS exam to have the best English foundation knowledge.